Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sorry Toyota

Toyota issued a recall covering 2.3 million late model cars, SUVs and pickup trucks several weeks ago, broadening its largest recall ever and acknowledging that potential accelerator pedal problems were more numerous than previously acknowledged.

Toyota previously recalled about 4.2 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles to reduce the risk of pedal trapping caused by floor mats, according to a news release issued by Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. About 1.7 million Toyota vehicles are subject to both recalls, the company said.

Toyota stated in "rare instances" the accelerator pedal may stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

Toyota previously had maintained there was no evidence of a mechanical fault linked to reported bursts of unintended acceleration that prompted the original recall last year.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration had received reports of 100 incidents at the time of Toyota's first recall. Those reports included 17 crashes and five fatalities possibly linked to floor mats and accelerator pedals in Toyota cars and trucks.

One of those crashes involved a Lexus that accelerated to more than 120 mph before crashing in San Diego, killing four people.

The safety stumbles have harmed Toyota's reputation in the U.S. as a builder of dependable, high-quality cars. Last year's recall was the sixth-largest ever in the United States.

Vehicles affected by the latest recall are:

• 2009-2010 RAV4
• 2009-2010 Corolla
• 2009-2010 Matrix
• 2005-2010 Avalon
• 2007-2010 Camry
• 2010 Highlander
• 2007-2010 Tundra
• 2008-2010 Sequoia
I think that this Recall is pure proof that this so called dependable Toyota and Honda are supposivley superior to American cars when in reality they are not. Every automaker has their issues with defects and recalls, but this one for Toyota is massive and should be seen as a wake up call to the American people. American cars are safer,more relaible, and even becoming cheaper. So i think that more people should look at an American option before they put there foot on the pedal of a Toyota!

4 comments:

  1. The fact of the matter is that every car manufacturer has had to recall cars in the past. In the late 90's Ford recalled millions of cars due to a faulty cruise control function (it tended to start fires) and Volkswagon has recalled millions of Beetles in the early 2000's.

    I own one of the Toyota models that was recalled and I must admit that I was quite pleased with the way Toyota dealt with the problem. Within ten days of the nationwide recall Toyota was making appointments with customers to bring in cars for the fix. The dealership took one hour to fix my car. Granted, it would have been nice to not have to deal with this at all, but recalls happen with many man-made products and I am appreciative for the quick service.

    I have no preference for either American made or foreign made cars (I have owned and enjoyed both). But, I do know that one company should not be overly criticized for recall issues that occur all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah i know because GMC has actually had alot of recalls in the recent years but they arent as publicized I dont know why but mabye its the fact that they are American auto makers and the government/media doesnt want to harm their reputation even more. I also think Toyota handled it well i just think its funny how everyone used to call their Toyota problem invincible when in reality no car is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with Mrs. Stoklosa and Josh in their opinions that Toyota, along with Honda, handled the situation quite well. Mrs. Stoklosa makes a very valid point: recalls do occur all the time, and I really think that the media is just overreacting to this, and like in many other cases, are exagerrating this story because there is a lack of news to convey.
    There is a reason that Toyota and Honda have a reputation for making very good, reliable cars, that being that they actually do. I don't favor any type of car, be it American or foreign. I simply favor the best cars, regardless of the company or country that produces it, and right now some German and Japanese cars happen to be, at least in my opinion, better than most American cars. If that changes, I'll be inclined towards that new company. This being said, I still believe that Toyota and Honda are among the best car manufacturers in the world, and this slight setback, which occurs on a regular basis, should not tarnish the reputation of these companies at all; The responsiblity and efficiency that Toyota and Honda have shown in the face of these recalls should be testaments to their reliabiliy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that some foreign cars such as the Honda Pilot have very good safety ratings so I wouldn't neccessarily put american cars over foreign cars in every case. Toyota made a mistake, and it took deaths and danger to occur in order to see what they have to implement to their new cars. American cars, in my opinion, aren't as reliable as foreign cars. American cars tend to have more problems and I know this from experience. I find that foreign cars such as the Porsche (AKA best kind of car ever) don't have as many technical problems, but when the problem does occur it tends to be more pricey. Also, I know this because I have owned a Porsche and I currently drive a Mercedes Benz. The price may seem to be a little unreasonable but overall those cars last a long time and you don't have to put as much maintainence on them. My mom owns a chevrolet and I feel as if there is always something wrong with it. So im going to stick with foreign cars, specifically German, because they are of my liking.

    ReplyDelete