Wednesday, March 3, 2010

And The Wheel Goes Round



The first invention that is directly related with today's tire was the process of vulcanization. Invented in 1844 by Charles Goodyear whose name was adopted by the company which continues today as one of the leading manufacturers of tires in the world. Goodyear's process became the basis of the manufacture of cured rubber tires and is still in use today. The first air filled or pneumatic tire was patented in 1845 by a Scotsman, an engineer named Robert William Thomson, born in Stonehaven, Scotland. He called his invention the Aerial Wheel. It consisted of a canvas inner tube surrounded by a leather outer tire which gave a good ride, but there were so many manufacturing and fitting problems that the idea was abandoned.

1 comment:

  1. I always wondered when and who had invented the modern inflatable tire for autombiles, so I am glad that this blog has answered that question. I didn't know that Charles Goodyear helped invent the tire, and it now makes sense why the company, by the same name, is called that way... now if only I could figure out why they have a foot with wings as the logo for this tire making company. I guess that's a question I'll just have to figure out the answer to on my own.

    ReplyDelete